Chapter Thirteen: The A-List Star
An arrogant action star is cast as the lead,
completely changing the character's core identity
The casting announcement went out on a Monday, and Localad found out pretty much the same way most of the world did. Through his mobile. A notification from an entertainment site he'd never subscribed to but which had apparently decided, in the five months since his name first appeared attached to a studio project, that he was worth alerting about developments in his own movie.
This was efficient. It spared the studio the
awkwardness of telling him first.
BRICK
HOLLAND TO LEAD FANTASY EPIC "PURRADISE” FRANCHISE.
Beneath the headline was Brick’s face: square,
expensive and deeply familiar. He had starred in five films about a demolitions
expert whose principal emotional range ran from “building intact” to “building
recently otherwise.”
Localad
had recognised him instantly, the way most of the world would have recognised
him; square-jawed, gym-built, star of a franchise about a demolitions expert
that had produced, at that point, five instalments and roughly the same number
of facial expressions.
Localad read the article twice, standing in his kitchen, waiting for some explanation of how this had happened, and found only the studio's official statement, three sentences of practiced enthusiasm about Holland's "range" and "commitment to bringing depth to the role," and a quote from Brick Holland himself:
"When I read the script, I knew this character was
someone who's been through real trauma and comes out the other side even
stronger. That's a story I want to tell."
Jasmine, in the book, was a twenty-six-year-old woman
carrying her dead sister’s sword.
Brick Holland was neither of those things.
Localad
called Desmond immediately, and Desmond, to his credit, picked up on the first
ring, which had become, over the months, a reliable signal that Desmond already
knew what the call was about and had been waiting for it.
"They
changed the character's gender," Localad stated, without preamble.
"They made Jasmine a man."
"It's
Farrah's draft," Desmond said. "The studio's read on it is that Brick
Holland guarantees a certain opening weekend that a first-time female lead
doesn't, not at this budget. It's not a decision anyone loves making. It's a
decision the financing requires."
“The story is about sisterhood.”
“They’re changing the sister to a brother.”
“That doesn’t preserve sisterhood.”
“No.”
“The entire emotional structure… The entire book is about a woman carrying her dead sister's weapon and
her dead sister's expectations and learning the difference between them. That's
not a story about…"
Localad
stopped, searching for words that weren't simply an insult to a man he'd never even met. "That's not a story about someone whose whole public persona is
blowing things up while looking totally unbothered."
"I
know," Desmond’s voice sounded stripped of all salesmanship for once, and
genuinely apologetic rather than crisis management.
"I really fought this one. I lost it. I want to be honest with you about that, because I
think you deserve honesty more than you deserve me pretending I have more power
here than I do. I'm a producer. I'm not the studio. The financing was conditional. Above a certain number,
actors become infrastructure and decisions like this one
get made by people I don't get a vote against."
“People are infrastructure now?”
“In this town, the successful ones are. Always have been.”
"So,
what do I do?"
"You
can walk," Desmond said. "You have that right, contractually. You only signed away creative control of the film, not your name off the credits, and
there's a clause that lets you request your name be further reduced to 'based on the
novel by' rather than a more prominent credit if you feel the finished film has
departed too far from your work. Some writers choose to use that clause. It's not
nothing, symbolically. But it doesn't stop the film from being made. It doesn't
get you the character back. It just means your name's a little smaller on a
poster that's going to be happening either way."
Localad
sat with the choice for three days, the article's screenshot still open on his
phone, the demolitions expert's face still smiling out at him with a confidence
Localad found, increasingly, exhausting to look at.
Priya explained his contractual options with surgical
calm.
“Yes, you can certainly request a reduced credit but you cannot stop
the production. You sold the adaptation rights, not fidelity.”
“I didn’t know those were opposites.”
“They are not legally required to be. That is the
difficulty.”
He
talked to Marjory every night that week, and on the third night she said
something that stayed with him longer than almost anything else anyone had told him
during those months.
"You
keep asking me whether you should walk away," she said. "I don't
think that's actually the right question at this point. I think the correct question
is whether there's still something worth staying for. If there's nothing left
of the book you wrote in what they're making, then walking doesn't cost you
anything. There's nothing left to lose. But if there's still something in there, anything worth protecting, even a little, even just the ending, maybe staying and
fighting for that little bit is worth more than a clean exit."
"How
do I know which one it is?"
"You
go to the set," she said. "You watch them film it. You'll know."
He
did not walk away, not yet, though he would come to wonder, in the months
following the film's release, whether Marjory's advice had been wisdom or
simply the kindest way either of them had known to say, "stay a little longer
and see how bad it really gets, because you're not ready to accept it's that bad yet."
He
met Brick Holland exactly once, at a table read staged for behind-the-scenes cameras, that felt, to Localad, less like a creative process than a performance
of one. Brick arrived with an
assistant, a trainer and a publicist who introduced herself before he could.
To Localad’s surprise, Brick was quite polite.
“I loved the book,” he said.
“You read it?”
“My assistant read it and gave me the emotional
architecture.”
“That isn’t the same.”
Brick thought about this with visible effort.
“No,” he said. “Probably not.”
There was not an ounce of malice in him. Brick had completely been
industrially simplified. Years of reward had taught him that the world wanted just the one thing from him and would pay extraordinary sums if he never complicated the
order.
“What do you think the character wants?” Localad
asked.
“To avenge his brother.”
“Nope, not even close.”
Brick looked genuinely interested.
“Well, what does he want?”
“To stop living as if grief is a debt.”
Brick repeated the sentence quietly to himself.
“That’s a lot harder to punch.”
“Yes.”
“But maybe better.”
For one brief moment, Localad saw who the actor Brick
might have been before the industry discovered the profitable outline and
coloured it in permanently for him.
Then the cameras rolled. Executives lined against the back wall, cameras rolling for the featurette, actors reading lines from a script that had drifted so far from Localad's original prose that he sometimes lost the thread of which scene he was even listening to.
Brick smiled, lifted the sword and delivered a
line about vengeance that did not exist in any version that Localad had ever written.
Everyone applauded.
Holland
was, in person, unexpectedly gracious, thanking Localad for "creating this
whole world," and Localad found himself unable to summon up the anger he'd
been carrying for three days, because Holland, up close, seemed less like a
villain in this story and more like what he actually was. Just another person
hired to do a job in a machine that had already decided, long before he
arrived, what shape the finished product would take.
"Hey, do
you think it's still your story?" Holland asked Localad unexpectedly
during a break, sincerity replacing, for a moment, the practiced warmth of the
earlier thanks.
Localad
thought about it for longer than the question probably warranted. "I think
it's a story that started as mine," he said finally. "I'm not exactly sure
whose story it is now."
Thank you for reading thus far. Click here to read the full story from the beginning. Or here for the start of Act II.
0 Comments:
Some of my more popular posts
-
“So there I was standing in the shower, practically naked, kissing my best friend and secret crush and I couldn’t help but think it was th...
-
I've just read yet another newspaper article about the threat of global warming. And last night on TV. Al Gore was warning that it...
-
He will dutifully return to his cell. The door will shut, his small cage will darken. He will lie down and try to rest, desperately tryi...
-
She slid up close next to David, careful not to tear her silk skirt on the old park bench. It was a cold night and she knew that what she ...
-
I’ve been quite busy recently... I think I mentioned my ever increasing to do lists, and that they have taken up a lot of time. And as a ...
-
Inspired by a sign I have just read at the local hospital A and E department, I had to rush home (after my treatment of course) and write ...
-
The day was ordinarily dull and grey, but into the grim world there came a new shining light... Yes it was my bald head. It...
-
Back in the day when I was a fully fledged, cards in wage slave, I was actually sacked from my first job. And if the mentor in my new job ...
-
I went to a funfair quite recently, and noticed that at most of the stalls there, it was quite difficult to win anything. The ‘games of sk...
-
It has quite often come to my attention that "Why?” is the only question that bothers people enough to have had an enti...


Post a Comment
Thanks for reading this blog entry, feel free to leave your comments