The Dangerous Moment When Somebody Says, “We Can Make This Better”
There are few sentences more terrifying to a creative person than: “We love it.”
This sounds a little counterintuitive.
You would imagine the frightening sentences would be things like: “We hate it.”,
“We're passing.”, “We've decided to go in another direction.”
Or, if you're an author: “We've
read the manuscript and would like to discuss page 147.”
Nobody wants to discuss page
147.
Page 147 already knows what it
did.
But we love it is
different. Because we love it is rarely allowed to travel alone. It
usually brings a friend.
“We love it. We just think…”
And there it is. The beginning
of improvement.
Improvement is
a dangerous business
Before I begin, I have nothing
against improving things. Human civilisation would be considerably less
comfortable if nobody had ever looked at the first toilet and thought:
I believe there may be room for
development here.
Improvement has given us
antibiotics, refrigeration, air conditioning and coffee machines that can
produce seventeen different varieties of coffee while requiring only a master's
degree in engineering to operate.
But creative improvement is
different. Because eventually somebody has to decide what better actually
means.
Now for this bit, I want you to
imagine you've spent twenty years writing a novel. Not twenty weekends. Twenty years.
You've lived with your novel’s
characters for longer than some marriages last. You've removed paragraphs you
loved because they didn't belong. You've rewritten chapters at two in the
morning. You've changed a character's name seventeen times because somehow
Bernard wasn't right.
And eventually you think you
have something. Not something perfect. But something that’s undeniably yours.
Then someone arrives carrying a
clipboard. “We love it.” They proclaim.
Wonderful.
“Absolutely love it.”
Even better.
“There's just one thing…” <<<
Ah, there it is, WE LOVE ITs best friend.
And this is
where Localad gets into trouble
In THE BOOK'S A LOT BETTER
THAN THE MOVIE, Localad has spent twenty years writing his novel Purradise.
It is an enormous fantasy novel about a land ruled by cats, fallen knights,
singing mountains, courage, grief and a mysterious Wound in the sky.
Nobody has read it and this
bothers Localad enormously.
Then Hollywood reads it, which eventually
bothers him considerably more.
Because Hollywood loves Purradise.
They love the world it has created. They love the characters. They love the
emotional depth and the originality. They love absolutely everything about it.
But WE LOVE ITs best friend,
would prefer that most of those things were different. The quiet moments could
perhaps be less quiet. The complicated characters could perhaps be less
complicated. The grief could perhaps become vengeance instead.
The Wound could be bigger. There
could be more action. There could be a franchise. There could be merchandise. And
could somebody please explain why none of the cats has yet ridden away from an
explosion without looking back?
Localad begins discovering
something every creative person eventually learns:
Nobody ever destroys your work
by openly announcing: “I intend to destroy it!”
They try to improve it.
Nobody means
any harm
And this, I think, is the
interesting part. It would have been very easy to write the people surrounding
Localad as villains. Men in expensive suits sitting around a table saying: “How
shall we ruin literature today?” Possibly while stroking a white cat.
Although in this particular
story the cat would probably demand points on the backend. But that's not
really how these things happen.
The producer wants a successful
movie. The studio wants its investment protected. Marketing wants something it
can market. The lead actor wants something he can act. The lawyers want
everyone to stop talking immediately.
Everyone is just doing their
job. And every individual decision made in the process can make perfectly good
sense. But somehow, after enough perfectly sensible decisions, nobody can quite
remember what the original thing was.
That's what fascinates me.
The death of originality doesn't
necessarily require an executioner. Sometimes all it needs is a committee.
The graph has
entered the room
At some point in almost every
modern creative enterprise, somebody produces data. This is generally
considered a serious moment because the data has a graph. And graphs are
extremely persuasive.
You can say almost anything
while pointing at a graph and people will hesitate before challenging you.
“Our research indicates that
audiences respond positively to emotional authenticity.”
Graph.
“Viewers demonstrate stronger
engagement with recognisable archetypes.”
Graph.
“Adults aged thirty-five to
fifty-four are particularly receptive to emotionally damaged, 64- year-old writers.”
Graph.
Nobody knows exactly how the writer
became emotionally damaged. There wasn't time because the meeting ends at four.
And this is where something
created because one person desperately wanted to say something, encounters
something designed to appeal to the greatest possible number of people.
Those two objectives aren't
always enemies. But they aren't always friends either.
Creation is an
absurdly personal act
Whether you write books, paint
pictures, take photographs, make music, build furniture or construct tiny
replicas of railway stations in your garage while insisting to your family that
this is perfectly normal behaviour, you eventually put something of yourself
into it.
That's unavoidable.
You make choices. This word
instead of that one. This colour. This angle. This character lives. That one
doesn't.
And sometimes you can't even
explain why. You simply know.
Then eventually your product
leaves you. A reader reads it. A viewer sees it. Someone listens to it.
And something rather wonderful
happens.
They make it partly theirs.
That's the bargain.
The creator doesn't control what
the audience feels. Nor should they.
But there's a difference between
allowing someone to interpret your work and allowing someone to
dismantle it looking for more commercially useful components.
That's the territory Localad
stumbles into. He thinks he's selling Hollywood permission to make his story
into a film.
Hollywood thinks it has
purchased something rather more interesting: potential.
Potential sequels. Potential
audiences. Potential merchandise. Potential markets. Potential intellectual
property.
Localad, inconveniently,
continues thinking of it as a story.
Which brings
us now to ownership
Who owns a story?
Legally, that's often fairly
straightforward.
Emotionally? Good luck.
A writer might sell film rights.
A studio might buy adaptation rights. A publisher might own particular
publishing rights.
Contracts can tell everybody
precisely who is allowed to do what, in which territories, using which formats,
until which dates and probably, under what circumstances someone is permitted
to manufacture a commemorative lunchbox.
But none of that answers the
more interesting question. Who owns what the story means?
That's harder.
And that's really what THE
BOOK'S A LOT BETTER THAN THE MOVIE became about for me.
Not Hollywood. Not filmmaking. Not
even books... Ownership.
The peculiar human need to
protect the things we create from becoming something we never intended. And the
equally peculiar fact that once we release those things into the world, we
cannot entirely control them anyway.
Localad eventually has to learn
the difference. So does Hollywood. And neither enjoys the lesson particularly
much.
And that's why
independent creators do matter
There is something gloriously
inefficient about independent creativity.
A person can spend years making
something that market research would have killed on a Tuesday morning.
Nobody asked for it. No focus
group approved it. There was no strategic gap in the market. Somebody simply
thought:
This should exist.
And I love that.
Not: Our analysis indicates
significant demand.
But: I've got an idea.
And those may be the four most dangerous words in commerce.
They're also responsible for
most of the things worth having.
Of course,
there is still one tiny problem
Having written an entire novel
satirising what happens when creativity collides with commerce, I am now
attempting to commercially sell said novel.
Yes, I recognise the
contradiction. And I have decided the healthiest response for this is to ignore
it completely.
THE BOOK'S A LOT BETTER THAN THE
MOVIE is, after all, a product.
It has a price. It has an ISBN. It
is available now from Amazon and here’s the link to prove it.
There are keywords. There are categories. And somewhere in the land of Bezos, an algorithm is currently deciding whether you are the sort of person who might properly enjoy it. So perhaps none of us escapes the machinery entirely.
But maybe that's not the point. Maybe
the point is simply remembering, underneath all the algorithms and markets and
platforms and graphs, why the thing existed in the first place.
Someone had something they
wanted to say and somebody else wanted to hear it. Easy as that.
Everything between those two
people is just infrastructure. Useful infrastructure, certainly. But
infrastructure nonetheless.
And if Hollywood ever does get around
to telephoning me for my manuscript, of course I'll answer them. I'm an author
not an idiot. I'll listen politely. I'll thank them for their interest. I'll
remain calm and professional all the way through. And when they eventually say:
“We absolutely love the book. We
just have a few changes…”
I'll know exactly what to say.
“That's wonderful, I just have a
few clauses.”
0 Comments:
Some of my more popular posts
-
“So there I was standing in the shower, practically naked, kissing my best friend and secret crush and I couldn’t help but think it was th...
-
I've just read yet another newspaper article about the threat of global warming. And last night on TV. Al Gore was warning that it...
-
He will dutifully return to his cell. The door will shut, his small cage will darken. He will lie down and try to rest, desperately tryi...
-
She slid up close next to David, careful not to tear her silk skirt on the old park bench. It was a cold night and she knew that what she ...
-
I’ve been quite busy recently... I think I mentioned my ever increasing to do lists, and that they have taken up a lot of time. And as a ...
-
Inspired by a sign I have just read at the local hospital A and E department, I had to rush home (after my treatment of course) and write ...
-
The day was ordinarily dull and grey, but into the grim world there came a new shining light... Yes it was my bald head. It...
-
Back in the day when I was a fully fledged, cards in wage slave, I was actually sacked from my first job. And if the mentor in my new job ...
-
I went to a funfair quite recently, and noticed that at most of the stalls there, it was quite difficult to win anything. The ‘games of sk...
-
It has quite often come to my attention that "Why?” is the only question that bothers people enough to have had an enti...


Post a Comment
Thanks for reading this blog entry, feel free to leave your comments