Chapter Thirty-One:
The Award Night
Localad wins the literary prize, delivering a
powerful acceptance speech about protecting creator rights.
The
Literary Foundation's Annual Calder Award Ceremony was held in a hotel ballroom in the
city two hours inland of the book store. It was considerably smaller and
quieter than the somewhat overpowering red-carpet premiere Localad had attended
a year and a half earlier. There were no photographers calling out names at the
door, no velvet ropes, no marquee with anyone's face on it at all. It was just
a room full of writers, editors, booksellers, and readers, several hundred
people who had, in one way or another, given their working lives to books.
Tonight, the carpet contained a pattern apparently
designed to conceal both spilt wine and existential collapse. There was no red
carpet, no screaming photographers and no enormous poster of Brick Holland
staring toward a horizon he intended to punch.
Localad
found, walking into that room in a suit he had chosen and bought himself, that
he felt more at ease than he had at any point during the entire, glittering,
exhausting Hollywood chapter of his life.
He felt immediately at home.
This room was all about books: and people whose formal
clothes looked borrowed from the more confident versions of themselves.
Marjory
sat beside him at a round table near the front, along with Priya, who had flown
out specifically for the occasion and had brought, unexpectedly, a bottle of
champagne she'd been saving, she said, "for exactly this kind of night."
A bottle of champagne and a folder,
because she did not trust celebration unaccompanied by documentation.
And there
was Mrs. Alvarez and Mr. Okafor, who had driven the two hours together and had
spent the entire ride, according to Mrs. Alvarez's own cheerful report, arguing
about whether the diner should stay open late to celebrate if Localad won.
Mrs. Alvarez wore sequins and informed three finalists
that Localad had once repaired her toaster.
Mr. Okafor wore a dark suit and the expression of a
man prepared to witness history without inconveniencing it.
Localad won.
His name was called.
For several seconds he remained seated because the
name belonged to an author and his body had not been informed that this now
included him.
Marjory squeezed his arm.
“Stand up.”
He did.
The
moment itself passed strangely, the way Localad imagined most such moments must
pass for everyone who experienced them. A name being called, his own name, a beat of
disbelief before his body remembered how to stand, applause that felt both
enormous and somehow very far away, Marjory's hand gripping his arm for one
brief second before he had to let go of her to walk to the stage.
He
had written a speech, of sorts, three different drafts of it sitting folded in
his jacket pocket, and standing at the podium under lights considerably gentler
than a soundstage's, he found that none of the drafts felt right, and he set
them all aside and spoke, instead, from the same place he'd been speaking from
since the very beginning of all of this. Plainly, honestly, without polish,
the way he'd learned to write only after twenty years of trying to write some
other, fancier ways first.
At the podium he unfolded his speech, looked at it and
placed it aside.
"I
wrote this book at a counter in a bookstore that was, for a long time,
failing," he began. “Mostly before
opening, because fear is easier to manage before customers arrive.”
The room laughed.
“I
wrote it for twenty years. This was not discipline. Well, some of it was
discipline. But a considerable portion was avoidance with stationery.”
He spoke about the bad novel that had made him angry
enough to finish. About Marjory telling him courage was doing the thing while
frightened. About selling the film rights and paying the debt that would have
closed Harbour & Page.
"I
wrote it because I was angry at a bad novel I'd read, and because I was scared
of finishing something that might turn out to not be good enough, and because a
friend of mine told me once that being brave doesn't mean not being scared. it
means doing the thing anyway, while scared. I sold the film rights to this book
eighteen months ago, and I want to say, honestly, that I don't regret that
decision. I don’t regret taking
the money. It paid off a debt that
would most certainly have closed my family's shop. It's not a story where the
money was the villain. The villain, if there was one, was believing gratitude required agreement. For a
while, every note arrived wrapped in praise, and I treated the praise as a
debt. I thought saying no would make me difficult, unprofessional or
ungrateful.”
He found Desmond’s face in memory, Trent’s conference
room, Priya’s clauses, Brick’s unexpected kindness and the film’s enormous
artificial sky.
“A story can survive many changes,” he continued. “But
every story has a few things that are not decoration. They are load-bearing
truths. You are allowed to know what they are. You are allowed to protect them.
And you should decide before the room becomes expensive and everyone in it
tells you that surrender is collaboration.”
The room was silent.
He
paused, finding Marjory's face in the crowd, steadying himself against it
before he continued.
“My three things were Jasmine, the sword and the Wound
staying open. It took me far too long to understand that the third thing was
also about me.”
He lifted the glass award.
“It isn't the same thing. I learned that the
hard way, and I'm standing here tonight holding this award because, eventually,
I learned it in time to do something about it. To every writer in this room who
has a story that someone with more money than you is asking you to make louder,
smaller, faster, easier to sell in fifteen seconds, I'd just ask you to
remember that you're allowed to know which three things matter most, and to
protect them, even when protecting them costs you something you thought you
couldn't live without. I promise you, you can live without it. What you can't
live without is the story being actually, truly yours, all the way to the
end."
The
applause that followed lasted longer than Localad expected, and he stood at the
podium holding the award, a simple glass plaque, considerably less ostentatious
than anything he'd seen handed out at the film's premiere a year and a half
earlier, and, to him, immeasurably more valuable. It did not shake walls or generate content. But it
meant more.
Localad thought, with a clarity
that felt like the culmination of everything he'd been through since a
stranger's car broke down outside his shop, that he had never once, in this
entire strange and difficult journey, felt more certain that he had made the
right choice than he did in this exact moment.
The applause rose for one last time.
Afterward, Priya opened the champagne.
Mrs. Alvarez, famed for her poise, tact and diplomacy, drank from the award because she mistook
it for a strangely shaped glass.
Mr. Okafor shook Localad’s hand twice.
Marjory kissed him where everyone could see.
For once, Localad did not become embarrassed.
He had spent much of his life imagining himself being grand
in secret. Standing in that modest ballroom, holding an award for the quiet
ending he had nearly been afraid to write, he finally understood that grandeur
was not being watched by everyone.
It was about knowing what you had done when the room went
quiet.
Thank you for reading thus far. Click here to read the full story from the beginning.
0 Comments:
Some of my more popular posts
-
“So there I was standing in the shower, practically naked, kissing my best friend and secret crush and I couldn’t help but think it was th...
-
I've just read yet another newspaper article about the threat of global warming. And last night on TV. Al Gore was warning that it...
-
He will dutifully return to his cell. The door will shut, his small cage will darken. He will lie down and try to rest, desperately tryi...
-
She slid up close next to David, careful not to tear her silk skirt on the old park bench. It was a cold night and she knew that what she ...
-
I’ve been quite busy recently... I think I mentioned my ever increasing to do lists, and that they have taken up a lot of time. And as a ...
-
Inspired by a sign I have just read at the local hospital A and E department, I had to rush home (after my treatment of course) and write ...
-
The day was ordinarily dull and grey, but into the grim world there came a new shining light... Yes it was my bald head. It...
-
Back in the day when I was a fully fledged, cards in wage slave, I was actually sacked from my first job. And if the mentor in my new job ...
-
I went to a funfair quite recently, and noticed that at most of the stalls there, it was quite difficult to win anything. The ‘games of sk...
-
It has quite often come to my attention that "Why?” is the only question that bothers people enough to have had an enti...


Post a Comment
Thanks for reading this blog entry, feel free to leave your comments