Chapter Twenty-Seven:
The Studio Panics
Hollywood executives try to buy the book
rights to suppress it, but Localad flatly refuses the money.
The
offer arrived through Priya and a whole bunch of studio lawyers lawyers because money of a certain size becomes
embarrassed to travel alone. It was written in
the careful, multi-layered language of lawyers speaking to other lawyers, but its
substance was plain enough once translated: the studio, through an intermediary
production company, wanted to purchase the publishing rights to Purradise
outright. Not to make another film, but, as far as Priya could determine from
the terms, simply to control the book's future printings, its distribution and
its availability.
Priya called Localad before opening.
“The studio would like to purchase the full publishing
rights to Purradise.”
“But they already have a publishing partner. So why
the actual studio?”
“They would like to own the underlying rights
outright.”
“To publish it with their own ending?”
Priya allowed a silence to perform an autopsy.
“The terms would permit them to determine the book’s whole future.”
“So they want to make it disappear.”
“I cannot establish their intent. I can however, establish that
the contract would give them a remarkably efficient disappearance button to do so.”
Then she named the sum.
It
was an exceptionally generous offer, large enough that Priya had to read the number to Localad twice over the
phone, the second time much slower, to make sure he'd heard it correctly.
Localad sat down.
The amount was large enough to solve every financial
problem he had ever possessed and several he had not yet invented. He could
renovate Harbour & Page, buy the building next door, replace the roof,
repair the heating and employ enough staff to take occasional afternoons off in
which nothing required fixing.
For one treacherous minute, the number almost became a
future.
"They
want to buy the book," Localad repeated, sitting at his own counter,
looking out at the shop's front window where a small, hand-lettered sign still
advertised the seventh printing now underway. "Not to publish it better.
Just to… what, control it?"
"That's
my read on it too," Priya said. "The offer includes clauses that
would let the acquiring company determine print runs, availability, even
whether it stays in print at all going forward. I want to be careful about how
I say this, because I don't want to put words in anyone's mouth that I can't
prove. But if I were advising a studio client who wanted an inconvenient
bestseller to simply become quieter and less available without technically
banning it, this is roughly the kind of offer I'd draft."
Localad
thought about the number for exactly as long as it took to remember why none of
it mattered. It wasn't because the money wasn't real, and not because the temptation
wasn't real either, standing as he was in a shop that had spent three whole generations being just one bad season away from permanently closing down, holding, suddenly, the
theoretical possibility of never worrying about money ever again for the rest of his
life.
Then Mrs. Alvarez entered the shop and abruptly announced that
the diner's cinnamon rolls were “turning morally uncertain” and should be eaten right away.
Mr. Okafor arrived for his paper.
Marjory crossed the square carrying fresh dahlias.
The shop filled with ordinary life.
Localad looked at the shelves full of Purradise: plain
cover, his ending, his name attached to the words he had actually chosen.
The very first book sale had saved the shop and almost cost him
the story. This new sale would only save him from any administrative worry by giving someone else the right
to silence the thing that had survived.
He thought of Jasmine.
She had not kept hold of the sword because possession was virtuous. She had kept it because carrying it had become her own conscious decision rather than her inheritance. Some things become yours twice: once when you make them, and again when you refuse to let convenience take them away.
But
he thought, too, about Mrs. Alvarez ringing up her own lunch order to tell
three tables of strangers that Jasmine was a woman. About the Portland
bookseller taking down a tie-in display and replacing it with his plain black
cover. About Jasmine at the Wound, choosing to keep the sword rather than put
it down, because somewhere in the writing of her, twenty years earlier, he had
understood something he hadn't fully understood about himself until this exact
moment: that some things become yours not because you were given them, but
because you refused, at the critical moment, to let them be taken.
"No,"
he told Priya. "Tell them no."
"They
may come back with a higher number."
“No.”
“Substantially higher.”
“Still no.”
“Localad, I am professionally required to ensure you fully understand all of the financial implications of your decision.”
"It
doesn't matter what number they come back with," Localad said. "I
already sold this story once for a number that seemed impossible to turn down.
I know now what that number actually costs. I'm not doing it again. No way."
“Good.” A fractional warmth entered her voice. “I am
personally delighted for you.”
Priya
delivered the refusal to the studio the following day, in a language that Localad had reviewed and
approved himself. It was, polite, professional, absolutely final and only
four sentences long. Priya believed that
when a door was being closed, excessive prose merely provided grasping fingers with somewhere
to grip.
And
the studio's response? Silence, once again, the same silence that had already failed to
contain the earlier controversy. The studio did not reply.
This told
Localad, more clearly than any negotiation could have, that they had understood
exactly what he'd meant.
He
told Marjory that night, over dinner at her kitchen table, the same table where
she'd once told him that being brave meant finishing the book anyway, scared or
not.
"Well, how
does it feel then?" she asked, "turning down that kind of money? Enough
money to buy most of Meridian Cove?"
He fully considered the question with a complete honesty, weighing it all against the six-figure cheque that
had once felt like the largest, most impossible relief of his entire life.
"Lighter,"
he said, finally, surprising himself with how quickly and easily the word had arrived into the conversation.
"It feels a lot lighter than saying yes ever did."
“Really?”
“Yes, it does.”
She studied him.
The Localad who had once left for Los Angeles, would have
treated the offer as proof that the world had finally measured him correctly.
The man now sitting opposite her, had discovered that being valued and being
bought were not exactly, the same experience.
Marjory raised her glass.
“To being exceptionally unaffordable.” she toasted.
“I’m not unaffordable.”
“But you just rejected a huge fortune.”
“I’m unavailable.”
“Ooo,” she said, “that is much sexier.”
Localad nearly dropped his fork.
Marjory smiled into her glass of wine as the two of them relaxed and settled into their evening together.
The shop downstairs finally rested itself for the night, complete with the soundtrack of associated cracks and creaks that accompany any old building after the stresses of an ordinarily unspectacular day's business.
The studio’s offer slowly vanished into its own silence.
Purradise still remained in print and continued smashing all
records.
And somewhere in Los Angeles, a spreadsheet had developed a bright red cell whereby several suited executives experienced a feeling they could only describe as 'market concern' because regret was not yet included in their company approved terminology.
Thank you for reading thus far. Click here to read the full story from the beginning.
0 Comments:
Some of my more popular posts
-
“So there I was standing in the shower, practically naked, kissing my best friend and secret crush and I couldn’t help but think it was th...
-
I've just read yet another newspaper article about the threat of global warming. And last night on TV. Al Gore was warning that it...
-
He will dutifully return to his cell. The door will shut, his small cage will darken. He will lie down and try to rest, desperately tryi...
-
She slid up close next to David, careful not to tear her silk skirt on the old park bench. It was a cold night and she knew that what she ...
-
I’ve been quite busy recently... I think I mentioned my ever increasing to do lists, and that they have taken up a lot of time. And as a ...
-
Inspired by a sign I have just read at the local hospital A and E department, I had to rush home (after my treatment of course) and write ...
-
The day was ordinarily dull and grey, but into the grim world there came a new shining light... Yes it was my bald head. It...
-
Back in the day when I was a fully fledged, cards in wage slave, I was actually sacked from my first job. And if the mentor in my new job ...
-
I went to a funfair quite recently, and noticed that at most of the stalls there, it was quite difficult to win anything. The ‘games of sk...
-
It has quite often come to my attention that "Why?” is the only question that bothers people enough to have had an enti...


Post a Comment
Thanks for reading this blog entry, feel free to leave your comments