Now Before You Read any Further…
Stop.
Not for
long.
There is still
one hell of a chapter left for the last 32 posts you have just read, and I have absolutely no intention of keeping it
from you. That would just be cruel, manipulative and, depending upon where you
came across this book, possibly a breach of consumer law.
But we need
to discuss something.
Reviews.
Yes.
Those damned
review things.
Thirty two posts later, if you have
made it this far, you have spent a considerable amount of time with Localad,
Marjory, Desmond, Priya, Brick Holland and the inhabitants of Meridian Cove.
You have just survived Hollywood executives, lawyers, contracts, literary prizes,
explosions, independent booksellers and meetings attended by people who
possessed several notebooks but apparently no actual opinions.
You are
therefore more than qualified.
More
qualified, frankly, than some professional critics.
So, before
witnessing the final chapter of this story's success, I would like to ask you to please consider leaving
this book an honest review.
It doesn't
have to be an essay.
Five stars
and “Quite good, actually” would be perfectly acceptable.
Five stars
and “Changed my understanding of the human condition” would also be
acceptable, although perhaps difficult to defend under cross-examination.
Four stars
will be tolerated in good faith.
Three stars
will be investigated.
Two stars
will cause Marjory to sigh most disappointedly in your general direction and
could even set Mrs. Alvarez off.
One star
and Priya (the lawyer not the other one) will be in touch.
Of course,
this is not a threat.
Priya has
specifically advised me to make that clear, although Jasmine does carry a sword.
But the
truth is much simpler.
Reviews are what help books like this get noticed. They help complete strangers decide whether to take a
chance on a story they have never heard of, written by someone they have never
met. And sometimes that stranger tells another stranger.
And
another.
And
suddenly a small book like this isn't quite so small anymore.
Which, when
you think about it, is rather appropriate. Considering how this particular story went.
So, if this
story has made you laugh, think, swear at Hollywood, become emotionally
attached to a fictional bookshop, or simply postpone something more
responsible, please leave a review wherever you found it.
It would
mean an enormous amount.
Thank you. And go tell ten to tell ten, to tell ten. That's the way to do it.
Right.
The absolutely
humiliating begging portion of this programme is now concluded and we look
forward to hearing what you think.
Thanks again in advance. Ta ta for now.
0 Comments:
Some of my more popular posts
-
“So there I was standing in the shower, practically naked, kissing my best friend and secret crush and I couldn’t help but think it was th...
-
I've just read yet another newspaper article about the threat of global warming. And last night on TV. Al Gore was warning that it...
-
He will dutifully return to his cell. The door will shut, his small cage will darken. He will lie down and try to rest, desperately tryi...
-
She slid up close next to David, careful not to tear her silk skirt on the old park bench. It was a cold night and she knew that what she ...
-
I’ve been quite busy recently... I think I mentioned my ever increasing to do lists, and that they have taken up a lot of time. And as a ...
-
Inspired by a sign I have just read at the local hospital A and E department, I had to rush home (after my treatment of course) and write ...
-
The day was ordinarily dull and grey, but into the grim world there came a new shining light... Yes it was my bald head. It...
-
Back in the day when I was a fully fledged, cards in wage slave, I was actually sacked from my first job. And if the mentor in my new job ...
-
I went to a funfair quite recently, and noticed that at most of the stalls there, it was quite difficult to win anything. The ‘games of sk...
-
It has quite often come to my attention that "Why?” is the only question that bothers people enough to have had an enti...


Post a Comment
Thanks for reading this blog entry, feel free to leave your comments